Firespell by Chloe Neill

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Firespell by Chloe Neill
(A Debut Author Challenge novel!)

author’s website:
Chloe Neill
release date: January 5, 2010
appeals to: Young Adult
genre: Fantasy
length: 256 pages
overall rating: 4 Stars

*the back cover*
When Lily’s parents decide to send her away to a fancy boarding school in Chicago, she is not happy. Lily’s classmates are the ultrarich brat-pack type – and if that isn’t enough, she’s hearing and seeing bizarre things on St. Sophia’s creepy campus.

The only thing keeping her sane is her roommate, Scout, but even Scout’s a little weird – she keeps disappearing late at night. When a prank leaves Lily trapped in the catacombs beneath the school, Lily finds Scout, who’s running from a real-life monster. Scout is part of a splinter group of rebel teens who protect Chicago from demons, vamps, and the gone-to-the-dark-side magic users called Reapers. She lets Lily in on her secret, even though Lily has no powers of her own…or at least none she’s discovered yet.

*my review*
I have been looking forward to reading this, so I was excited to get this book from the library, and it (mostly) lived up to my expectations. When I started reading this book, I thought that the beginning was a little bit slow moving. However, as I continued, I realized that Neill was just taking time to create Lily’s character. That time spent developing the character made Lily very easy to relate to. I could really understand her feelings and frustrations much more than I could have if the background hadn’t been established early in the book. I also enjoyed Scout and her quirky personality. Even the Brat Pack was amusing - they are the girls every teenager encounters at some point!

There are quite a few interesting twists in this book – with supernatural powers and characters being introduced or hinted at throughout - but much of the “action” is reserved for the last few chapters. There is a conclusion to the story presented in this book, but it is also very well set up to lead into a sequel. And, with the supernatural elements, secret societies, fun characters, and secrets presented in this book, I’m excited to read that sequel!

*short and snappy*
writing: detailed (but not boring) – Neill takes her time developing characters and setting up the plot
plot: slow to start, but it definitely picks up at the end
characters: Lily is well developed, but I feel like we don’t know everything yet. I think there is also a lot to learn about the “supporting” characters.
judging by the cover: an intriguing cover, but not necessarily connected to the plot
miscellaneous: You can read chapter one of this book on line
here. Hexbound (the next book) is set to release in January of 2011.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Here via the Saturday Network - this sounds like an intriguing book. I definitely like the cover - it's attention grabbing, even if it doesn't connect directly to the story.

Chioma said...

This book sounds really good. But from some of the reviews I've read it sounded chick litty, but Ill still give it a try!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok i totally love Lily and this book was great cannot wait for HEXBOUND!!!!!!!! And i just love Jason.

Post a Comment

Leave a message . . . I would love to hear your thoughts or suggestions!

 
◄Design by Pocket